Spending time abroad and gaining international experience is a great way to meet a lot of new people, get to know new cultures, visit many new places and improve your CV. Nowadays young people can engage in various programmes, such as studying abroad as a part of a study exchange programme, participating in a summer school, volunteering or taking an internship abroad. The last option is especially popular among young people as it allows them to perfectly combine work and pleasure. We have looked at some of the reasons why you should consider taking an internship in Australia.
- Improve your CV and increase the chances of getting a job: Employers nowadays are very demanding and the job market is highly competitive. When you will be searching for a job, you will need something to stand out of the crowd and something to catch employers` attention. What can be a better competitive advantage than having international experience? The fact that you worked abroad means that you are an easily adaptive person and that you know how to face challenges. Additionally, having this experience in your CV will let employers know that you are familiar with working in international environment, which is a very desired asset nowadays.
1. Meet new people: Great thing about doing an internship abroad is meeting new people. The best way to get accustomed to the new culture is to meet some local people. This will not only help you to get around your new city easier but will also allow you to get to know Australian culture better. Most Aussies enjoy spending time outside, so you might want to join them when they go hiking to a nearby mountain, take a trip to the beach or visit the local park.
2. Get to know Australian culture: While living in Australia you will also get to know the culture and their way of life better. Make sure to try the traditional food such as Vegemite or the famous Australian dessert called Pavlova. While there, you also need to try Australian wine as Australia is among world`s major wine producers. Most Aussies are also very passionate about sports, among the most popular sports are cricket, football and of course water sports, such as surfing. Especially surfing is something you need to try as this is really a special experience in Australia.
3. Improve your English skills: The official language in Australia is English and having an internship there might be a great way for you to improve your English skills. While you will already need a good level of English in order to get an internship there, there is always also some room for improvement. You will become more familiar with professional and business English and will probably also pick up some of the Australian slang words.
4. Discover the “Land Down Under”: Australia is a very big country and therefore has a lot of cool places you can visit during your time there. You will probably not work the whole time, so why not take advantage of your free time and travel around the continent as much as possible. Either taking trips to the beach, visiting bigger cities, such as Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane or taking a trip to the desert, you will surely never run out of things to see.
5. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: The younger you are the easier it is for you to adapt to changes and to learn new things quickly. Taking an internship abroad is, therefore, the best way to gain international experience and discover a new culture. If you have the chance to have an internship in Australia you should take advantage of this opportunity as it is probably something you get to do once in a lifetime and something you will remember and cherish later on in life.
6. Personal growth: Living in a foreign country is also a great opportunity to get to know yourself a bit better and become more independent. Since you will be away from your family, you will learn how to depend on yourself. This is also a great opportunity to find out what you really want to do in life and in general become more mature.
The experience of having an internship in Australia will definitely be unforgettable, but the planning of it can get quite stressful. You need to make sure to take care of all the necessary paperwork before, get the Visa or a working permit, obtain a health insurance and of course, find a place to stay. Searching for a place to stay in a country you do not know well can be quite tricky, but luckily you have options of booking a place online. One of those options is HousingAnywhere.com, an online housing platform that assists international students and interns in safely booking a room or an apartment in a foreign country. The whole process from searching to booking a room is easy, fun and safe. Do not wait any further and start your amazing Australian adventure!