7 Easy Campervan & Camping Lunch Recipe Ideas
While camping or travelling in a campervan in Australia, you’ll enjoy savings and fun that comes with camp cooking. Take advantage of your campervan’s kitchenette or your campground’s facilities to get creative with cooking and enjoy your meals with an awesome beach backdrop! These 7 tasty meal ideas are great lunchtime options while you’re enjoying life on the road.
Chicken and Salad wrap
These fulfilling and healthy chicken wraps are an easy-to-make lunch while travelling. One tip from us to save time and make your meal extra tasty; head to a supermarket like Coles or Woolworths and you can buy a whole roast chicken instead of cooking it yourself. You will save money and also have enough for leftovers for dinner.
- 1 chicken breast OR a pre-made roast chicken
- Wrap bread or flour tortillas
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- Thinly slice the chicken breast and fry until golden and cooked through. OR if you have a pre-made chicken, simply shred the meat. Chop the lettuce leaves and cucumber.
- Lay wrap bread out and evenly spread lettuce, chicken, cucumber. Top with mayonnaise, salsa, salt and pepper to season, and serve!
Egg & Lettuce Sandwich
A cult favourite, egg and lettuce sandwiches, or as we call them in Australia, ‘egg and mayo’. These will be easy to make for any meal of the day, but we like them best for lunch.
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and finely chopped or mashed.
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced white or whole grain bread
- Salt and pepper
- Combine egg and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread butter on the bread and place lettuce leaves. then top with egg mixture. Add the second slice of bread to the sandwich. Slice and serve, simple!
Pesto Pasta Salad
This 5-ingredient pasta salad recipe is the perfect meal to put together when travelling in a campervan. Think; pulling up in a beautiful location, cooking up some delicious pasta, and enjoying a peaceful day with a delicious meal.
- Whole wheat pasta such as penne
- Fresh arugula leaves
- Sundried tomatoes
- Jar of pesto
- Fresh mozzarella
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain pasta and rinse until it’s no longer hot
- Meanwhile, chop the mozzarella into 2cm cubes and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the mozzarella, pesto, tomatoes and arugula. Serve.
This traditional Italian meal is a delicious light meal in summer and only takes a few minutes to put together. You could enjoy this on its own for lunch or serve it alongside another type of food.
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 bocconcini, sliced
- 1 bunch of basil leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Slice tomatoes into 1cm slices. Place onto a plate and top with bocconcini and basil leaves.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle over the olive oil and vinegar just before serving.
Commonly known as a ‘grilled cheese’, but here in Australia, we’d call it a cheese toastie. Most people generally know how to make these, but did you know it’s the perfect camping meal?!
- Sliced bread
- Sliced cheese such as tasty cheese
- Optional – get creative. Add ham, fresh or sundried tomato, grilled peppers, fried zucchini, etc.
- Construct your perfect sandwich. First butter the bread and then flip it around so the butter is on the outside. Add your cheese, and any other ingredients if you choose to use them.
- Heat a frying pan and add the sandwich. Cook for about 3-4 minutes and then flip and repeat until both sides are toasted.
These 5-minute bowls are delicious and pack a nutrient-rich punch. It’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly, full of fibre, iron, protein and other good stuff you need to sustain your adventures!
- Mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 can of black beans
- Mexican style brown rice – e.g. Uncle Ben’s 90-second microwave rice
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 can of corn
- Mexican hot sauce
- Drain and rinse the corn and black beans. Chop the avocado into chunks. Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves. Cook the Mexican rice – you can either heat it up in a pan, or if you are lucky enough to have a campervan with a microwave, simply heat it up!
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and toss to combine. Drizzle over the Mexican hot sauce to your taste and serve
Everyone loves the classic combination of crispy bacon, fresh lettuce and juicy tomatoes. We say it’s the perfect campervan meal! Tip: for the Aussie experience, add avocado to EVERYTHING!
- Bread of your choice. Fresh rolls from the bakery are a great choice
- Rasher bacon
- Cos lettuce, washed and sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Fry the bacon in a pan until cooked and crispy. Place all ingredients in the rolls and enjoy. Easy!
We say good food and great adventures bring people together, so we hope you enjoy these simple culinary experiences on your road trip! Tag #CookingWithTAB in your foodie x van pics so we can ogle and drool at the site of your creations.
Looking for more campervan and camp cooking recipes? We have all your meals and cooking tips covered here.