How to Get a Job in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa?

Wanting to travel around Australia, but still make some money as you go? Well, look no further because here is all the information you need to not only see our amazing country, but also experience many of the opportunities we have available.


What visa do I need?

Knowing what visa you need is the most important part of working while you travel in Australia. Thankfully, Australia can offer travellers the Working Holiday visa. This is a 12 month temporary visa for young people wanting to holiday and work in Australia. There are 2 classes of this visa, one which is for those who are wanting to get their second Working Holiday visa (for more information click here)

However, if this is your first time applying here is what you need to know…

The Working Holiday visa will allow you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, work a maximum of 6 months with one employer, study for up to 4 months and also allow you to leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid (how does a trip to New Zealand sound?).

Fruit picking

What do you need to apply for this visa?

First of all you need to be outside of Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa, and also have it granted to you. You also need to have a valid passport or other travel documents.

However, make sure you find out if you are already holding another visa that has a ‘No further stay condition’ on it. You can make an enquiry here if you are unsure.

What is the cost?

Since there are 2 classes of Working Holiday visas it is important to find the one that is right for you – below you will find a table from the Australian Government website which will show  a basic outline of the costs entailed:

Visa costs

I have the visa, now what do I do?

Well, the first thing you should do is figure out what job you are wanting to do – are you wanting to work in hospitality, farming, retail or even as a tradesman? Farm work and fruit picking is a large business in Australia and many backpackers flock to these places as it is out of the cities and loads of fun.

Below, are just a few websites which cater to people who are only looking for temporary roles:

You can also check out websites such as gumtree and indeed for jobs too.

Make sure that when you apply for the job, that you let your employer know that you are on a working holiday visa, and provide them the necessary documentation for them to hire you. Remember, if you do 88 days of farm work then you are entitled to apply for a second year in Australia, how good is that?!

The working holiday isn’t intended for you just to work whilst you are in Australia, so why not hire a campervan and go on a road trip once you’ve saved up some money from your job!

Book a Campervan
Get a Quick Quote and Book Now
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Sign up for specials & road trip tips

We are using Cookies to allow for the best possible service & marketing activities. By using our website you agree to the usage of cookies. For more information and how to opt out please refer to our Privacy Policy.